Which book should I read next?

Friday, September 9, 2016

November Rain By Shannon A. Thompson|Review


November Rain (Bad Bloods #1)
Published by Clean Teen Publishing on July 18th, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Pages: 230
Format: PDF
Rating:

Seventeen-year-old Serena isn’t human. She is a bad blood, and in the city of Vendona, bad bloods are executed. In the last moments before she faces imminent death, a prison guard aids her escape and sparks a revolt. Back on the streets determined to destroy her kind, Serena is spared by a fellow bad blood named Daniel. His past tragedies are as equally mysterious as her connection to them. Unbeknownst to the two, this connection is the key to winning the election for bad bloods’ rights to be seen as human again. But Serena is the only one who can secure Vendona’s vote. Now, Daniel must unite with her before all hope is lost and bad bloods are eradicated, even if it means exposing secrets worse than death itself. United or not, a city will fight, rain will fall, and all will be threatened by star-crossed love and political corruption.

My Thoughts

The author contacted me wondering if I'd be interested in reviewing her novels. I can recall how excited I was when I first began reading this. I buzzed through the first fifty pages, desperately hoping to make as much headway as possible before my schedule prevented me from getting a single word in. I eventually made my way back to the book and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the enthusiasm I possessed in the beginning still remained. After reading part one, I greatly admire Shannon's ability to create realistic characters. The interactions between Serena and Daniel felt genuine. The same goes for the relationships each flock had with one another. Though I was a little overwhelmed with character names, which flock they belonged in, and what their abilities might entail, I was still able to follow along with ease. The world that the characters live in is quite interesting. Given it is not too far off from our own; however, I especially liked the idea that the rich and the police were the only ones that were known for driving. It's a strange, simple concept that I don't think is usually depicted in young adult dystopian. Most dystopian novels have advanced technology so the characters don't ever have to worry about transportation. Another point that differs from other dystopians, the teenagers are extremely careful wherever they go. It is more realistic when the characters are sneaking around, hiding from the government than walking around in plain sight. One of my favorite things about this story is the politics. Like I keep mentioning, most dystopian novels involve a certain rebellious group revolting against the government. I thought it was interesting to read about an impending election and that one of the candidates actually considered the Bad Bloods as people. Not too many young adult books bring in politics, in which makes this book very unique. At least to me, this book reminded me of Romeo and Juliet, but with much less conflict and bloodshed. I highly recommend giving this a shot. Time for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment