Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Invisible Man By H.G. Wells|Review



The Invisible Man
Published by Watermill Press on September 28th, 1993
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 232
Format: Paperback
Rating: 

A door opens and closes... mysterious footsteps climb the stairs. .. tables and chairs are thrown across the room. .. someone coughs and then speaks in a muffled voice... but... no one is there!

A mad scientist concocts a potion that makes him invisible, and he is now terrorizing the inhabitants of a small town. This nightmarish tale by H. G. Wells contains all the suspense and adventure of science fiction at its best.

My Thoughts

I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I first picked up this book. I figured I might as well give it a shot. I also figured that I’d have it read within a day. That was not the case. 

From the start, I found it difficult to latch onto anything; the characters, the storyline. Anything. However, when I realized that the protagonist and the antagonist were the same characters, the story grew increasingly more interesting. Especially when you realize that you are empathizing with the villain of the story. It takes a lot of skill for the readers to care for the troublemakers of a story. 

The Invisible Man is a combination of science fiction, mystery, and contemporary. Though I am only a fan of two of those three, I did enjoy this book. However, at times, I found the story to be a little redundant. The book isn’t that large to forget unless you haven’t picked it up in a while.

It was quite an interesting read. I very much enjoyed the archaic language, even though at the time it was considered the norm. One thing I love about classics is the history behind the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment