Thursday, May 4, 2017

Ancient Magic By Linsey Hall|Review


Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress #1)
Published by Bonnie Doon Press on April 6th, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Pages: 260
Format: eGalley
Rating:&nbsp:

I’m good at two things: finding treasure and killing demons. Lying low is a close third—but not because I want to be good at hiding. I have to be. I’m a FireSoul, one of the unlucky few to inherit a piece of the dragon’s soul. Being born with the dragon’s covetousness should be a sweet gig - I have the power to find and steal any type of treasure, including the powers of other supernaturals. But it doesn’t come without a price - stealing powers requires that I kill, and others would destroy me if they discover what I am. In a world full of magic, hiding my species is the only way to survive. Finding magical artifacts is the only way to pay the bills. It’s a dangerous job when you can barely use your magic, but that’s one of the things I like about it. When Aidan Merrick, the most powerful shifter in the city, hired me to find an ancient scroll, I didn’t want to take the job. His immense amount of power reminds me of too much of murky memories from a past I can’t remember. But I don’t have a choice. The scroll reveals what I am. And if anyone finds out, I’m dead.

My Thoughts

NetGalley Review
To be honest, the story fell a little flat to me. Though I did enjoy the plot and there was a bit of action scattered throughout. However, I felt like I was being lectured, especially with the repetitive thoughts. I get it, you only need to say it once or twice before we get the point. I'm was not a big fan of the instant connection/love or cheesy situations and conversations. That is a huge pet peeve that I have with books. I understand it may speed up the storytelling process and get the characters to where they are intended to be, unfortunately, it isn't very realistic. Fortunately, it wasn't as annoying as it is in many other books.
I couldn't really connect with Cass. Her thoughts were all over the place and really didn't interest me. There's nothing more that I have to say.
The writing was easy to follow. Almost too easy, as if it were intended for a younger audience. I was utterly disappointed with the lack of world building. Very little was said about the world and what was said almost made completely no sense. 
Overall, I was disappointed with the outcome of Ancient Magic. I do, however, like the cover. I think that may have been what drew me in. I applaud you, cover artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment