Friday, April 28, 2017

July Lightning By Shannon A. Thompson|Review


July Lightning (Bad Bloods, #4)
Published by Clean Teen Publishing on May 1st, 2017
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Pages: 321
Format: e-copy
Rating: 

From best-selling author Shannon A. Thompson comes an exciting new duology in the Bad Bloods universe.
Sixteen-year-old Caleb has been called many things: a patient, a musician, even a prostitute…now he has a new name—son. After his identity is uncovered, Caleb bands together with the family he once rejected in order to save the city of Vendona. But it won't be easy. Enemies wait around every corner—and so do harsh realities. With Violet and Kuthun by his side though, nothing seems impossible. As Vendona sits on the verge of an economic collapse and a massive hurricane threatens the city, Violet and Caleb must show its citizens how to overcome decades of hostility and division to save themselves.
Standing or not, a sea will rage, a wall may fall, and all will depend on immortal pain and sacrifice. 

My Thoughts

I received an e-copy of this book from the author in exchanged for an honest review. This in no way affects my views or opinions of the book.

You'd think after reading four of Thompson's books you'd eventually get over her poetic writing and not fall completely head over heels over it for the fourth time. Her writing takes you to a different place. You're immediately drawn in from the start. The one thing that I truly admire about Thompson is how each of her books begins. Yes, you want to grab the readers attention, but don't want to be too forceful that it completely rubs the reader the wrong way. Thompson never ceases to surprise me. I'm always hooked from the beginning until the end. Those plot twists! Need I say more?!

Thompson does such an amazing job at establishing the plot, characters, and setting. I hope to someday gain that talent as well. However, it didn't feel as close to the characters as I had in previous books. They didn't feel as genuine as they had before. And though I can't stand love triangles, I'll let this one pass because it wasn't nearly as annoying as some I have read in the past.

Once again it was nice to see some familiar faces (names). I love series that create a set of character and one book and another set in the next book. And when those two sets meet, everything is magical! It almost made my want to read the duologies all over again. And I just might.

Overall, July Lighting was an electrifying (see what I did there :D), heart pounding, squeal-inducing experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment