Thursday, March 9, 2017

Library of Souls By Ransom Riggs|Review


Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #3)
Published by Quirk Books on by September 22nd 2015
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Pages: 464
Format: Hardback
Rating: 
A boy with extraordinary powers. An army of deadly monsters. An epic battle for the future of peculiardom.

The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and continued in Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all. Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.

My Thoughts

Just like Hollow City, Library of Souls begins exactly where the previous book ends. 
After spending nearly a month reading this, I found myself losing interestest quickly. Don't get me wrong, the book was good. However, I lost most of my excitement for the story in the clutter of fluff. Honestly, there was just too much. The story seemed to drag and all I wanted to know was if Jacob and Emma would finally be reunited with their friends again. One possibility that may have had a negative effect on my reaction was the fact that I wrote down what transpired in the story. I wanted to be able to look back at my notes in the future; however, the further I read, the less motivated I became. Yes, things would happen, but they weren't vital critical to the story. Like I said, there was a lot of fluff. Chapters would be fifty or more pages long. 80% would be fluff, such as Jacob discussing their relationship and promising never to leave each other. The remaining 20% was what progressed the story forward. 
I love reading prose, but honestly, this was just too much. Everything was described in intricate details, which is amazing. But if it honestly has nothing to do with the story, then don't spend so much time describing it. 
I was not overly impressed with this conclusion. I think at that point I was willing to accept anything if it meant the story would be over. I did enjoy this series; but for me, it didn't necessarily live up to all of the hype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment