Which book should I read next?

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Beyond the Red Mountains By Greg Johnson|Review


Beyond the Red Mountains
Published by Morgan James Publishing on June 2nd, 2015
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Pages: 350
Format: Paperback
Rating: 

Kelvin and Elizabeth grew up in different places, both taught that they were the only people to survive the Dark Days—but they start to question this when they begin to hear strange tales that suggest otherwise. When fate brings them together it creates more questions than answers…Will Kelvin get enough answers in time to help free his home from the evil man who rules it? He hopes that following his ancient map to the last resting place of the mysterious fourth Founder of Triopolis will reveal the information he seeks. When an accident forces Elizabeth to flee with Kelvin, they are set on a path that will lead him home. During their journey, they will discover an ancient race of people who have unbelievable powers over the natural world—and they learn how to fight off the evil that threatens their world.

My Thoughts

I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway. 
I think the only thing I enjoyed about this book was the cover. The cover is absolutely gorgeous; however, I wish the story was just as extravagant. One reason why I disliked this book so much was the constant chance in point of view. There are SO many POV's that it makes it difficult to get back into the story once you figure out who is really thinking this or that. I wish there were less. The book would have been much better if it were limited to only two or three character's thoughts and actions. The different POV's made it impossible to think for yourself and pinpoint who was betraying who. A lot of the times, I thought the writing was redundant or blatantly obvious by over explaining things that did nothing to progress the story. Moving away from that, I did find a few grammatical mistakes, such as spelling, commas, and even using the wrong character's name. The mistakes were minor but where throughout the book, which really irritated me. The scenes were coincidental and easily foreseen, at least that's how they felt to me. They also moved quickly without spending too much time on the fluff. Also, the dialogue didn't flow. It was often used to transition to the next little tidbit. I really think the book would have more potential if it kept the readers guessing. Overall, I was really intrigued by the concept and was really curious how now one knew/remembered/ventured out to seek new lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment