Thursday, October 20, 2016

Never Missing, Never Found By Amanda Panitch|Review


Never Missing, Never Found
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers on June 28th, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Mystery
Pages: 306
Format: Hardback
Rating:

A juicy thriller about a girl who returned from the missing. . . . Hand to fans of We Were Liars, Bone Gap, and Vanishing Girls. Some choices change everything. Scarlett chose to run. And the consequences will be deadly. Stolen from her family as a young girl, Scarlett was lucky enough to eventually escape her captor. Now a teen, she's starting a summer job at an amusement park. There are cute boys, new friends, and the chance to finally have a normal life. Her first day on the job, Scarlett is shocked to discover that a girl from the park has gone missing. Old memories come rushing back. And now as she meets her new coworkers, one of the girls seems strangely familiar. When Scarlett chose to run all those years ago, what did she set into motion? And when push comes to shove, how far will she go to uncover the truth . . . before it's too late?

My Thoughts

'Secrets are stronger than blood.'
After reading Amanda Panitch's Damage Done, I knew this book would be anything but predictable. The power of phenomenal storytelling. 
Honestly, I don't even know where to start this review. I thought about taking a day to collect my thoughts and process what I'd just read. However, I don't think I would be as excited later. So bear with me.
First of all, I love Panitch's ability of empathy in both of her books. After spending so much time learning and experiencing the character's thoughts, it's difficult to go against what we know. I specifically like that the story flashes back to Scarlett's time with Stepmother and Pixie. I was a little leery towards what Scarlett experienced and worried that some scenes might be graphic. Fortunately, yet unfortunately, Scarlett's capture goes in a completely different way. 
I found this book on a new level of freaky due to a local tragedy. With everything going on within and outside the book, I realized that people may not appear as they seem. Plus, the fact that we are all battling our own monsters. 
The characters were relatable and realistic. Not so much about the fact that they worked at an amusement park, but how they each embodied their own unique personalities. I knew to be wary of one specific character early on because no one is who they seem in Panitch's novels. 
The. Plot. Twist. It took a few rereads of one specific chapter for my mind to finally grasp who exactly was who. It takes a little bit of reworking and rethinking, but you'll get there. (view spoiler)
I highly recommend reading this book if you're a fan of physiological thrillers and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment