Which book should I read next?

Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Crimson Crown By Cinda Williams Chima|Review


The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms #4)
Published by Hyperion Books on October 23rd 2012
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Pages: 598
Format: Hardback
Rating:

A thousand years ago, two young lovers were betrayed-Alger Waterlow to his death, and Hanalea, Queen of the Fells, to a life without love. Now, once again, the Queendom of the Fells seems likely to shatter apart. For young queen Raisa ana'Marianna, maintaining peace even within her own castle walls is nearly impossible; tension between wizards and Clan has reached a fevered pitch. With surrounding kingdoms seeking to prey on the Fells' inner turmoil, Raisa's best hope is to unite her people against a common enemy. But that enemy might be the person with whom she's falling in love. Through a complicated web of lies and unholy alliances, former streetlord Han Alister has become a member of the Wizard Council of the Fells. Navigating the cut-throat world of blue blood politics has never been more dangerous, and Han seems to inspire hostility among Clan and wizards alike. His only ally is the queen, and despite the perils involved, Han finds it impossible to ignore his feelings for Raisa. Before long, Han finds himself in possession of a secret believed to be lost to history, a discovery powerful enough to unite the people of the Fells. But will the secret die with him before he can use it? A simple, devastating truth concealed by a thousand-year-old lie at last comes to light in this stunning conclusion to the Seven Realms series.

My Thoughts

I like the idea of history possibly repeating itself at the end of the novel. But deep down, I don’t think Han would ever allow that to happen again. The ending was a little bittersweet. All open-ended conclusions are. My mind is still reeling from everything that just happened. My expectations were sky-high when I first began reading this series. I’ve read all of Chima’s books and have loved every single page. I do not like to read the synopsis for books in a series so I went in slightly blind. I did have a few ideas from where the story would lead from where The Gray Wolf Throne had left off. Though predictable at some points, I love this series. The world building is phenomenal! I greatly admire Chima’s ability to create an amazing world with equally amazing characters and plot twists. The depth of details gives you plenty of room to imagine everything. The growth of the characters is another reason why I love Chima so much! Not only have Han and Raisa matured throughout the series, but a few subordinate characters have as well. I am always pleased to read Micah’s name. He was, by far, the most complicated character to wrap your mind around. His upbringing and influence are superb for any villain. But in the end, was he really all that bad? I’m still reeling from all of the heartbreak from the previous books. It might be a while until I pick up this series again, but I will definitely try and fit it into my schedule for the future. I’m not a huge fan of open endings, but I think it works perfectly with this series. After all of the characters have been through, it's hard to believe that they are going to live happily ever after. Plus, there is always an opening in case Chima wishes to expand the series. After spending many days within this universe, I think I going to need a few days to just process it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment