Friday, May 27, 2016

Merlin's Blade By Robert Treskillard|Review


Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral #1)
Published by Blink YA Books (HarperCollins) on April 16th, 2013
Genre: Young Adult Christian Fiction
Pages: 432
Format: Paperback
Rating:

A strange meteorite. A deadly enchantment. And only Merlin can destroy it. A meteorite brings a mysterious black stone whose sinister power ensnares everyone except Merlin, the blind son of a swordsmith. Soon, all of Britain will be under its power, and he must destroy the stone—or die trying. MERLIN'S BLADE won the 2014 Silver Moonbeam Award in the YA Fantasy/Sci-Fi category, as well as the 2013 Grace Award.

My Thoughts

I wasn't too sure about a blind main character when I first picked up this book. However, I think Treskillard did a fantastic job at working around Merlin's weaknesses. I love the legend of Camelot, King Arthur, and Merlin so I just had to get this book. I was very intrigued by how this book differs from the legend, which made me a little leery. Merlin the blind son of the village's blacksmith, which is completely different from the Colin Morgan I became obsessed with a few years ago. I couldn't help but picture him as I read the book. I did enjoy Treskillard take on the famous legend. There was plenty of action of keep you entertained and familiar characters that peeked my interest. Unfortunately, I did grow bored after a suspenseful or action-packed scene. There is a lot of new information coming at you all at once, not to mention the old dialogue and objects. I was very pleased to find a glossary in the back of the book, that was incredibly helpful at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment