Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Sea of Monsters By Rick Riordan|Review


The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2)
Published by Disney Hyperion Books on April 1st, 2007
Genre: Middle-Grades Fantasy
Pages: 279
Format: Paperback
Rating:

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that result in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.

My Thoughts

Forewarning to those who are reading this series for the first time and are planning on reading any other series by Rick Riordan, he loves cliffhangers! Literally! I’m looking at you MoA! Many times, the second book in a series is never as great as the first. However, that is definitely not the case for Sea of Monsters. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is better than the first book because The Lightning Thief will always have a special place in my heart. But Sea of Monsters is nearly at the same level as The Lightning Thief. Percy and Annabeth race back to Camp Half-Blood only see it everything has changed. Thalia's tree is dying, weakening the magical boundaries around the camp. Fired and framed, Chiron leaves Percy in Annabeth's care while new traitors and enemies surface during his absence. Mysterious dreams of Grover in a wedding dress warn Percy of his friend's strange plight. Rejected of a quest, Percy, Annabeth, and Tyson, Percy's newest member of his family, set out on their own in search of Grover and the mythical Golden Fleece. Crazy mechanical monsters, barbarous beasts, and singing sirens threaten to throw the quest off course. Sea of Monsters will take your breath away as the team faces each challenge head on. I forgot how much I remembered from this book and it was better than from what I remembered! It was so great! I am literally speechless. I don’t even know where to begin! You are throw onto a rollercoaster the moment you open the book. There is never a dull, unexciting moment. You attention will aways be fixed on the pages and your mind will be racing with possibilities. I must say this, you can never predict what is going to have in a Riordan book. Guinea pigs, I mean, who saw that coming! The things may seem random and weird, but there is always a reason or meaning behind them. I love that and how Riordan relates it to our modern world. It makes the story more enjoyable and creative.


Re-Read Challenge

A huge thanks to Kelly over at Belle of the Literati for hosting this challenge!

When I First Read: As soon as I finished the first book.

What I Remember: Annabeth hearing the sirens, Party Ponies, and Thalia.

Why I Wanted to Re-Read: The movie got it completely wrong.

How I Felt After Re-Reading: Ecstatic!

Would I Re-Read Again? Oh yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment