Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Lightning Thief By Rick Riordan|Review


The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)
Published by Disney Hyperion Books on March 1st, 2006
Genre: Middle-Grades Fantasy
Pages: 377
Format: Paperback
Rating:

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse—Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena—Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.

My Thoughts

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE! Having been a faithful Percy Jackson fan, I was thrilled when I heard the books were going to be adapted into movies. Unfortunately, the movies fail to capture the majority of the books correctly. Though I did enjoy the movies, I just wish they actually followed the books. Children, teens, and even adults will find this book enjoyable, entertaining, and emotional. I've read this book a number of times and I figured it was time that I finally sat down a wrote a review. Nostalgia washes over me each time I dive into this series. It is truly one of a kind and a fantastic read. The characters are witty, sarcastic, and sassy (mainly just speaking of one character in particular). The entire book deals with Greek mythology. There are plenty of plot twists to keep the gears turning inside your head. And the action will sure to have you on the edge of your seat. What more could you possibly ask for? You always have to be wary, Riordan loves to leave you hanging and spring surprises when you least expect them. That is what I love about this book. Each time you read it, you will catch onto something new. Subtle hints. Sneaky foreshadowing. It is the perfect concoction. This book is what ignited my love for mythology and history. It's not all just about the characters running for their lives and joking around. As you immerse yourself deeper into the story, mythology comes to life. You are learning without even realizing it! Though the book is more directed towards younger readers, I am proud to say that I do own a Camp Half-Blood T-shirt. I remember devouring this book when it was first released. I cannot believe it has been ten years! Time really does fly.


Re-Read Challenge

A huge thanks to Kelly over at Belle of the Literati for hosting this challenge!

When I First Read: I was entering fifth grade and was looking for something new and unique to calm my nerves.

What I Remember: Sarcasm and laughter.

Why I Wanted to Re-Read: I wanted to re-read this book mainly because it had been a long while. Plus, I wanted to refresh myself before I re-read the Heroes of Olympus.

How I Felt After Re-Reading: Ecstatic! Thrilled! Nostalgic!

Would I Re-Read Again? Definitely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment