Which book should I read next?

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Damage Done By Amanda Panitch|Review


Damage Done
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers on July 21st, 2015
Genre:Young Adult Contemporary Thriller
Pages: 304
Format: Hardcover
Rating:

22 minutes separate Julia Vann’s before and after. Before: Julia had a twin brother, a boyfriend, and a best friend. After: She has a new identity, a new hometown, and memories of those twenty-two minutes that refuse to come into focus. At least, that’s what she tells the police. Now that she’s Lucy Black, she's able to begin again. She's even getting used to the empty bedroom where her brother should be. And her fresh start has attracted the attention of one of the hottest guys in school, a boy who will do anything to protect her. But when someone much more dangerous also takes notice, Lucy's forced to confront the dark secrets she thought were safely left behind. One thing is clear: The damage done can never be erased. It’s only just beginning. . . .

My Thoughts

I honestly had no idea what to expect when I first began reading this. The synopsis sounded interesting and hinted towards something much larger than I had originally had thought. There was so much secrecy revolving around the mysterious memory gap twelve minutes in Julia’s mind of that day. I loved how Panitch continuously built onto that, thickening the plot and deepening the characters desires. My heart tightened multiple times as I devoured this book, desperately forming possible conclusions. I was completely taken aback by the earth-shattering plot twists thrown in throughout the story. I very rarely laugh, much less gasp during a certain statement a character had said. I found myself closing the book with my mouth open, eyes wide, multiple times. I could only sigh with a smile, knowing it could only get more interesting. The main character, Julia, battles with herself throughout the story. You can definitely feel the adoration she has for her brother. She does not necessarily love his mistakes, but that doesn’t stop her from reaching for him again. I found her brother to be sick and twisted in so many ways that made Julia’s actions a little predictable and unrealistic at times. For example, I knew a normal, casual meeting in the woods could only have one possible outcome. Panitch also has the expertise of sending your heart into a full on sprint. My fingers continuously flipped through pages until there were no more. This is a very unique story, not just because of heartbreak and tragedy in the character’s, but because of how twisted and bizarre they are. You get to see her mind set as Julia works through her problems with the help of her notable friends. I have never read anything like this. It is frightening how twisted this book is! I loved it! Near the end, I really couldn’t stand Julia, especially after she explained herself. 15 people! Julia, you’re so selfish! Books like this one make reading fun and creative! And the subtle clues thrown in throughout of the book made it even more frightening. But I think what took me off guard the most, was Julia’s true intentions and easy ability to conveniently leave out her side of the story. Another reason why I loved the book so much was because Julia wasn't your average American beauty who doesn't think she is beautiful. We slowly peel away the lies and expose her flaws even crimes. There is so much I wish to say about Julia, but I just cannot put it into words with out shouting for spoiling anything. Overall, I throughly enjoyed the story and cannot wait to see what else Amanda Panitch creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment